Thursday, November 1, 2007

Things 5,6,7 ...

Gee, reading through all the cool stuff teachers get to try almost makes me wish I was a teacher again. ok ... well, not really. but there are some great innovations that I wish I had had access to when I was a student. It seems to me that the RPC would work just as well in graduate school as in high school. Don't you wish you had had it as you struggled with those 10 to 25 page papers? I've been in graduate school twice, so believe me when I say that it would have been wonderful to be able to have such a resource. sigh... I think the internet arrived 35 years too late... Those 5 procedures: Question, Gather, Conclude, Communicate and Evaluate really help gather thoughts together and the time line heps the organizing and gathering of information. I was thinking of sending the url to my college student children (Central graduates -- 2005 & 2007) because I think it will help them in their papers as well. So what do you think? Am I off base here or not?

I constructed a web site for one of my classes at MCTC. It was about the intentional community to which I belong. Crossroads Community began with prayer and driving around the Frogtown neighborhood in 1990 after my wife and a few others came back from a short-term mission trip to Haiti. Being a hippie from South Dakota, I was always interested in community living and the idea resonated with me (even though I wasn't on that trip.) If I can find the files for the web site I will reestablish them and provide the link.


1 comment:

--Deanna said...

In fact the RPC is based on/inspired by the Assignment Calculator that the University of Minnesota developed: http://www.lib.umn.edu/help/calculator/

I'd be curious to know how much it gets used. Personally, I was a beat-the-clock / works-well-under-pressure kind of student who let the ideas percolate in the back of my mind until a few days before the project was due, but I know that doesn't work for everyone (and is often frowned-upon by teachers!).