Thursday, December 27, 2007

from a book on tape

On my drive to South Dakota, I was listening to a book on tape and the writer said the following: A bad student makes the best teacher. So my question is, how many teachers were not-so-good students in school and how did you decide that teaching was for you? Do you agree with this statement? And does the corollary also apply: that a good student will make a bad (or at least a not-so-good) teacher? That is something with which I don't think I can agree. What do you all think?

4 comments:

L. M. Peifer said...

I have to say that I don't agree with this comment. I think some bad students can become good teachers because they can empathize, but it doesn't mean they are the best teachers; additionally, I cannot believe good students make bad teachers. I think it has to do with one's heart and one's motivation on why one wants to be a teacher in the first place.

Leslie said...

Most people that I know that are teachers are not in it for the "glory" or the money, but the personal satisfaction it gives them to help and nuture someone. I think the statement alluded to previously about good and bad teachers is bunk. I go along with Lindsay's comments, who, by the way, is a very good teacher!

Karen said...

I drove to SD twice (!?!) over the holidays! I'm from Elk Point, and you?

Hmmm, do bad talkers become great singers, or do good talkers become bad singers? Do bad walkers become great runners, or do good walkers become bad runners? Silly examples, but I think my point is that how you are as a student does not determine how you are as a teacher. Both have elements of innate and learned abilities.

--Deanna said...

I doubt that the author meant that ALL bad students would make good teachers, but wouldn't someone who struggled in school have certain insights that might make them a better teacher in some ways? Kind of like parenting and how many people try to do better with their kids on the things they wish their parents had done better with them. (This is NOT to say that good students can't also make excellent teachers, of course!)