Sunday, February 3, 2008

Facebook & MySpace 1/27-2/3

I know that both my daughter and son have a page on Facebook. I have warned them (more than once, I'm afraid) about the dangers of what could be posted on their sites. They tell me that they have to approve of who can post messages on their site. I know this is true because neither my wife nor I have been "approved" to post. :-) Too much parental involvement, perhaps? They are both Central HS graduates (2005 & 2007) and students at Carleton college. It used to be that Facebook was only available for college students; I guess that is not true anymore, though. It takes prayer and trust, I suppose, for parents to "let go." [But I don't know of any parental education that helps with that, especially coming from the school district. Sometimes I wish there was!] It is true that careers and reputations have been damaged as a result of people thinking of these networks as "private" when the reality is just the opposite. So we have a large task at hand to continually educate folk to be wise and thoughtful.

1 comment:

Eeva said...

Haha. Yeah, some of my children are on Facebook and Bebo and others too numerous to mention. Keep track of eight children? Of course not! They seem to fend for themselves pretty well after all, despite my occasional interference. I just marvel and try to do my own thing or Things, as it were.