Monday, February 25, 2008

Thing 16 -- MnLINK

What a great resource for finding the materials one needs! When I was doing my Library internship through MCTC (at SPPL - Sun Ray branch), I used MnLINK to order books for customers when St. Paul didn't own them. It was an easy procedure and one that they could have done for themselves. But, of course, the public library is around to help people find the resources they want. So it is only right that if a customer/patron doesn't think they have time to find something, we find it for them. Why, it wasn't that long ago when all the "stacks" in the library were closed and one had to request a particular book or material before a librarian would go and get it.

I was a little curious about which libraries were hooked into the MnLINK system, though. I saw Gustavus Adolphus and the U of M and state colleges... But I didn't see Carleton or St. Olaf. I wonder why they aren't involved. I may email Gould Library at Carleton and ask; I figure that since both my children are students there...

Every year we run a little Valentine's Day Treasure Hunt for them comnplete with rhyming clues. This year I scouted out places at the Carelton library; it was the best treasure hunt ever, according to my daughter. It is really fun to do. :-)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

In the day and age of instant gratification, it appears students cannot wait the few days it takes for materials to be delivered to their local library from any place in Minnesota via MNLink. This is such a fabulous resource. The only students at Central that are believers are the ones doing History Day projects, needing the valuable resources from all over the state.